Monday, November 26, 2012

Meet Alec.

I'd just finished 2.5 hours of driving hell on Thanksgiving Day, avoiding accidents and traffic standstills and the temptation to purchase something glutenous at Dunkin' Donuts.  Then, finally, I was the passenger, and I popped Black Holes & Revelations into the CD player (what? I'm old-school).  In under 3 songs, I saw a new character in my head.  In a black leather jacket, smiling a slightly creepy smile.  I've seen this guy before; he was a muse for the story I wrote last year, the one I'll be turning into something else entirely (eventually--and not before the first two Emerson books are done).  But this time he went by a different name.  I knew just by looking at him that his name was Alec and that he was up to no good.

Which is precisely why I need to introduce him to Emerson.

It won't happen yet.  He'll show up in book 4.  But right now, he's already got some of my attention.  I'm still figuring out what he's all about, but I'm already intrigued. 

I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again: there is no more aptly-named band than Muse.

No comments:

Post a Comment