Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Ups and downs.

On a good note: The kindness of people never ceases to amaze me.  I rarely have occasion to ask a favor of a perfect stranger, but last week I did, and the results couldn't have been better.  I sought some help about paraplegics--I'm not a paraplegic expert, and here I am trying to write a story character who's a paraplegic.  So I made a little pitch and asked for anyone who understood the day-to-day life and challenges of paraplegics to reach out to me.  Four people did--from doctors to nurses to paraplegics themselves.  And they were not only all amazingly helpful, but really, really sweet people.  The fact that these four strangers reached out to help an unknown writer with some information for her first book just because...well, it warms my usually cold little heart.  ;)  I want to find a way to pay the kindness forward.  I'll think of something, I'm sure.

On a less good note: I've had zero time to write lately.  Shit just keeps going wrong and distracting me from writing.  Like yesterday, the air conditioner started spewing water out the bottom of it, forcing me to abandon my writing and clean up the mess.  Or over the weekend, when I was awakened from sleep, couldn't get back to sleep except for an hour and a half before I was supposed to wake up, and then--after a long but fun day of walking around the zoo--I had to take an uber-long nap because I was freakin' exhausted and couldn't keep my eyes open, thus killing the writing time I'd set aside for myself.  And work's been more insane than its usual insanity, with longer hours and more stress.  I try to take time to do novel-related stuff every day, but...sometimes it still feels like I've gotten a big ol' F on the day.

Today I did some writing--well, I took some story notes during an epically long and irrelevant meeting.  I got struck with some inspiration.  The problem?  The notes were for book 4 (I'm writing what I believe will be a 7-book series), not book 1, which is the one that really needs the words right now.  Sigh.

Tomorrow, goddammit, I am going to write.  And I am going to write a lot.  Here's hoping life doesn't get in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment