Thursday, May 30, 2013

Lost and found.

Sometimes I have a little problem of thinking too far ahead and worrying about things long before they're ever relevant.  Something that was weighing on my mind lately was, I know how the Emerson series ends, but I don't know how to actually facilitate that happening.

By that I mean, I know Emerson's fate at the end of the series.  I've known for a long time, and I haven't wavered on that.  I'm completely happy with the ending and feel that it's a fitting end to the series.  But I didn't know how to get her to that point.  I knew some things that had to happen to get her to where I need her to be at the end of the series, but how could I do those things in a believable, non-contrived sort of way?

Today I found that answer.  No joke, I watched like 15 minutes of one of my muses doing some interviews--that's been a ritual of mine lately because simply hearing the voices of various muses seems to help activate the creative part of my brain and amplify what comes out of it.  I then opened up Emerson book 1 and started typing words for the next chapter, and that's when it hit me.  The big brainstorm.  The way to get from A to Z.  The "holy shit" moment of story-planning.

Now I know exactly how to make it all happen.  I've found a plausible way to facilitate this ending, and what's awesome is that it stays really true to the heart of Emerson and the heart of the story.  It feels natural.  It feels right.  It also feels like, duh, why didn't you think of this before?

Gotta love trying to write the last third of Book 1 and instead coming up with just the right ending for Book 7.  But hey, I won't complain--I'm beyond stoked about my latest brainstorm.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment