Saturday, November 1, 2014

Melancholy creep.


Today was Halloween--my favorite day of the year, giving way to my least favorite time of year. From November to March, I tend to be miserable. I don't like cold, I don't like snow, and I don't like shorter days. So Halloween is always bittersweet for me because I know what's coming when it ends.

Today I got to dress as one of my favorite television characters, Vanessa Ives from Penny Dreadful. I love the show and I love her character--her mystique, enviable clothing, and wild (albeit somewhat possessed) side. Oh, and she has brilliant taste in men (hello, Dorian Gray). I had tons of fun with my costume, brought candy to share at work, took home some leftover gluten-free pizza, and am trying very hard to escape the melancholy that's already creeping in.

I know there's so much to look forward to in the next few months. The holidays, friends, and family. An upcoming vacation. Revising 2 books, writing 3 short stories, and generating more ideas every day. Handmade Christmas cards and ornaments to make, new craft techniques to learn. And in the very short-term, reading some of the new books I've just bought, scouring post-Halloween sales tomorrow, and new, scrumptious-smelling BPAL scents to try.

I'm trying to focus on the things that keep me going--of which there are many. But I have a feeling this winter will be uniquely difficult for me, and I am rarely wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment